Falcons Rock Investment Counsel will provide any of the following investment consulting services on the basis of an hourly rate or flat fee for the specific project. An estimate of the total fee will be provided in writing prior to the assignment, and one-half of the total estimated fees are due in advance. Our full range of ongoing advisory services for Private Client (Individual and Family Investors) and Institutional Investors are outlined elsewhere on our website.
- Fiduciary Benchmarking Review
- Fiduciary Investment Compliance Review
- Analysis of Current Investment Portfolio
- Design of Optimal Portfolio
- Development of Investment Policy Statement
- Target 401(k) Plan Design
- Investment Manager Search
- Retirement Plan Service Provider Search
Falcons Rock Investment Counsel, LLC
Examples of Consulting Work Performed for our Clients
- A five-year back study analysis of investment returns for a high net worth client who was concerned about the performance and objectivity he was receiving from his current investment advisor. This study concluded that the composite portfolio returns were below established benchmarks and peer groups of like portfolio managers, and that the recommendation of investment products was conflicted.
- A hedge fund analysis for a high net worth client who was concerned about the hedge fund manager recently leaving an established but troubled investment firm and starting his own firm. This analysis determined that this hedge fund manager had performed very well versus its benchmarks and peer groups and the decision was made to retain this manager and his new firm. We will monitor the performance of this hedge fund on a quarterly basis going forward.
- A comprehensive search for a new investment management firm for a high net worth family who was considering both open- and closed-architecture platforms. This search process included: the determination of client objectives based on a proprietary evaluation matrix, the preparation of a formal Request for Proposal, a review of proposals from six investment management firms, a detailed written analysis of each firm, interviews with three finalist firms at their headquarters, and the negotiation of management and advisory fees. One firm was selected, and we were retained to monitor the results of this manager on an ongoing basis.
- The negotiation of a life settlement offer for a high net worth client who no longer had a need for one of the large life insurance policies that had been purchased for estate planning purposes. This project included a search for institutional investors interested in purchasing the policy and the negotiation of offers and contract terms. The final negotiated settlement was more than 130% greater than the original offer.
- A search for a new 401(k) service provider for a mid-size employer in Germantown, WI, who was concerned about its bundled provider, the broker who sold them the plan, and the quality of their employee education and communication. The search revealed a wide range of services and fees available from 401(k) vendors, and an incredible discrepancy in how fees were disclosed. A new service provider was selected for this plan, we coordinated the implementation process, and we will monitor the performance of the plan’s new mutual funds on a quarterly basis.
- An analysis of the existing investment managers and mutual funds used in a qualified retirement plan. This analysis focused on the performance of the overall portfolio, as well as the performance of the specific investment managers and funds, versus customized benchmarks and peer groups. A structural review of the existing asset allocation strategy was examined versus stated return objectives. As a result of this analysis, the investment strategy was modified, some investment managers were retained, and some managers/funds were replaced.
- The development of a creative and unique new qualified retirement plan design that incorporates the best features of 401(k) plans with important elements of traditional pension plans. This plan design is results-based and will provide a high percentage of employees the financial security they need to maintain their standard of living in their retirement years.The plan sponsor will incur no additional cost, as compared to current 401(k) designs, yet will be able to offer a more comprehensive and competitive benefit to employees
- An asset allocation analysis for an existing charitable foundation, which had recently received a significant donation from the estate of a long-time supporter. This single donation more than doubled the asset base of the foundation, and the Board determined that a formal review of the portfolio would be prudent. A revised investment strategy was implemented, with a focus on maintaining the foundation’s long-term ability to make meaningful distributions on an inflation-adjusted basis. In addition, a detailed Investment Policy Statement was drafted, which included the adoption of a Foundation Mission Statement.
- A comprehensive back-study analysis, asset allocation study, and development of a coordinated Investment Policy Statement for the general and emergency reserve assets of an institutional client with an international board of directors. Special consideration was given to currency hedging and to the foreign securities of countries represented by the members of the board. We were retained to conduct investment manager searches, implement the new strategy, monitor the performance of the portfolios, and to provide ongoing investment counsel.